Why choose Dirtschool?
We have one simple ethos at Dirt School. To make sure your coach has not just the paperwork but the riding credentials to match. Whether that's at the head of a terrifying trail, on the start line of a big race or even just finding your feet on the bike again after a little crash, we've been there. It's this feet-on-the-ground and real world experienced approach to mountain bike coaching that's earned us respect at the top. Whether that's writing books and developing our own mountain bike tuition techniques or coaching World Champions.
Our work has taken us all over the world and we have been fortunate enough to work in partnerships that have given us great insight. The ability to fully deconstruct our sport and develop an in depth coaching knowledge, based not just in textbooks, but on clear results from our work with psychologists, physiologists, top riders and people around the world. Making you have more fun is our passion not just our jobs.
Whether it's standing trackside at the World Championships, or trailside on the Blue Route at Glentress, we’re working with riders. Come and join us, whatever you ride we'll make this amazing sport better for you. We promise.
Andy Barlow joined Chris as a partner in Dirt School in 2009. His motivation to help as many people as possible get the most out of their time on their bikes made him the perfect match. A well celebrated rider himself, Andy adds his pragmatic attention to detail, his excellent riding ability and his love of all things cycling into his mountain bike coaching.
- Dirt School partner
- Scottish and GB XC mountain bike Champion 2009
- Trans Scotland 07 Winner (Solo)
- Scottish Junior Downhill mountain bike Champion 1997
- British Cycling MTB Coach qualified
- BASP Emergency Outdoor first aid qualified
- MBLA Mountain Bike Leader
The founder of Dirt School, Chris has roots in sport science, competition and international governing body level work. When he founded Dirt School his ethos was simple. He wanted to pass on all that he had learnt, not just from riding and competing but from the psychologists, physiologists and coaches he works with. But, more importantly, he wanted to pass this on to every rider, through people who had the experience and skill level themselves.
- Managing Director of the Enduro World Series and the Enduro MTB Association
- Founder and National Coach of the Scottish Downhill Academy (2006 - present)
- UCI Gravity Sports Coordinator and UCI Technical Delegate ('08 - '12)
- British Cycling and Scottish Cycling DH coach
- Author: The Manual - Mountain Biking and MBR Skills expert
- BSc Hons Sports Science
- MBLA Mountain Bike Leader
- British Cycling MTB Coach Qualification
- BASP Emergency Outdoor First Aid qualified
Ruaridh needs little introduction. 2007 Junior World Champion, Ru has been working with Chris since 2006 as an integral part of the Scottish Downhill Academy while racing professionally in the UCI Downhill World Cup.
Ruaridh isn't just a full time racer though. Qualified with the MBLA, he's the assistant coach on our Borders Academy of Sporting Excellence (BASE) Downhill course and runs our Downhill Race Craft days. He is sometimes available for private sessions. You can inquire via Ru@dirtschool.co.uk
- Junior World Champion
- 2011 British Downhill Champion
- Top ten World Cup rider
- Assistant coach to BASE Academy course
- Longest standing athlete on the Scottish Downhill Academy
- Competed for GB in 2007, 2010, 2011 World Championships
- HNC in Sport Studies
- BASP Emergency Outdoor first aid trained
- MBLA Qualified